DATE/TIME: Sat-Sun / Aug 6-7 / 10:30am-4:30pm
LOCATION: Cole Art Studio located on the lower level of Cole Gallery. 107 5th Ave. S., Edmonds 98020
REGISTRATION: Register at Cole Art Studio by calling 425.697.2787 or click on button above.
In this 2 day workshop you will learn to paint dramatic clouds and subtle skies.
I will teach and demonstrate by working on a painting of my own, taking you through the stages of creating atmospheric cloud paintings. With my coaching, you will practice and learn various techniques I have developed to achieve certain results. Bring several small canvas boards (see supply list) in addition to your canvases, so that you can practice these new techniques. You will receive individualized attention and instruction with gentle suggestions as you create your own work of art. You will work from references (such as your own photos or mine) and leave with at least one finished piece.
**Note: You can paint in either acrylics or oils. If you are going to use oils, it will be important to use a drying medium.**
Students: Please base coat your canvases with a layer of equal parts Payne’s grey/cobalt blue/titanium white. If you are using oil please thin your color with gamsol. If using acrylic please thin with a little water. Please see the accompanying diagram for more information. It is essential that your canvases are dry before start of class.
Acrylic or Oil paint:
- Titanium White
- Prussian blue
- Cobalt Blue
- Cerulean Blue
- Payne’s Grey
- Burnt umber
- Raw umber
- Medium Cad Yellow
- Cad Red
- Any other colors you may have
Good quality synthetic brushes in "double sizes". (This means they usually have long handles and the sizes are generally twice as big as short handled brushes, like the type used in watercolor.)
- Two medium Flat or Bright brushes, like #6 (these would be from 1/2 - 1" flats or brights).
- Two Large Flat brushes or Filbert brushes for blending the background, about 1 1/2 - 2" or so. (ARTspot has Simply Simmons XL #50 Soft Synthetic $16.99. An amazing big brush for an even more amazing price!!)
- Several small round brushes, #4 -#0 (the # 4 is about 1/4" wide).
- Plus any other brushes you might have.
- 2-3 18x24-inch or larger canvases. ARTspot has both the 3/4" and 1 1/2" deep profile canvases.
- 4-5 inexpensive, small (8x12 or smaller) canvas boards, or canvas pad with at least 4-5 sheets, for practicing techniques
- A table easel or a standing easel (Cole has a number of these, call to reserve)
- Reference photo, if desired (reference will be supplied if you have none)
- For oil painters: Odorless mineral spirits, and drying medium, Galkyd Light (Note: no stinky mediums allowed)
- Palette to mix paints on (could be a paper palette pad, a traditional palette or whatever you prefer)
- Notebook and pens for note-taking
- Water pot
- Rags or paper towel (I like the blue shop towels!)
- Bag for trash
- Something to bring your paintings home in
You can purchase your quality art supplies at ARTspot! Registered students receive a 10% discount on all their art supplies from the time of paid registration until the last day of class. Please let their staff advise you about appropriate art materials to fulfill requirements for your class. Artspot's Web Site