DATE/TIME: March 12-13 (Sat/Sun) / 10:30am-4:30pm
WHERE: Cole Art Studio
In this 2-day workshop, you will learn how to paint maximum atmosphere. I will teach you what to put into the painting and - just as important - what to leave out. With a combination of lecture, demos, and hands-on individualized teaching, I will show you my techniques, tips, and tricks. I will guide you as you work on your own canvases over the two days, and you'll leave with a finished atmospheric piece of your very own!
**Students: Please base coat your canvases with a layer of equal parts Payne’s grey/cobalt blue/titanium white. If you are using oil please thin your color with gamsol. If using acrylic please thin with a little water. It is essential that your canvases are dry before start of class.
Acrylic or Oil paint:
- Titanium White
- Prussian blue
- Payne’s Grey
- Burnt umber
- Raw umber
- Yellow Ochre
- Indian Red
- Cerulean Blue
- Any other colors you may have
NOTE: Oil painters will need odorless mineral spirits, such as gamsol, galkyd light (or other preferred glazing/drying medium). Please note, no stinky mediums will be allowed. Acrylic painters may wish to bring a retarder and glazing medium.
Brushes (I prefer to use inexpensive synthetic long-handled brushes such as white nylon):
- One medium Flat or Bright brush, like#6 (long-handled, this will mean #6 will be about ½” wide)
- Two Large Flat brushes for blending the background (about 1-2”)
- Several small round brushes, #4-#0 (again, long-handled, not watercolor size brushes)
- Plus any other brushes you might have.
- Table or standing easel (Cole has about 6 easels; call ahead to reserve one)
- A 24x24-inch or larger canvas
- Palette to mix paints on (could be a paper palette pad, a traditional palette or whatever you prefer)
- Containers for your mediums and brush cleaners
- Notebook and pens for note-taking
- Rags or paper towel (I like the blue shop towels)
- Something to bring your wet paintings home in (cardboard box, etc.)
***Registered students receive a 10% discount on all their art supplies from the time of paid registration until the last day of class at ARTspot in Edmonds. Most items on this list are available at there. Please let their staff advise you about appropriate art materials to fulfill requirements for your class. You can call 425-640-6408 or email at ARTspotEdmonds@gmail.com. They can also set aside the materials you need, ready for pickup or deliver your supplies to Cole Art Studio the day of class.